Change Vehicle Registration Name

When you change your name in the state of Arizona, you’ll need to update the Social Security Administration regarding your name change before you can update your vehicle paperwork. After registering your new name with the SSA, you’ll have 10 days to report your name change to the Motor Vehicle Division.

Informing the SSA of Your Name Change

The SSA must be informed of your name change before the Arizona MVD. If you try to inform the MVD of a name change before you’ve had the change processed with the SSA, your Social Security information won’t match properly in the MVD records.

Applications for name changes can be submitted either through the mail or at your local SSA office. You’ll need to provide the following documentation:

  • Your complete Application for a Social Security Card
  • Proof of the name change (divorce decrees, marriage certificates, court documents, etc.)
  • Proof that your presence in the U.S. is lawful (a birth certificate, citizenship certificate, valid visa, etc.)
  • Personal identification (driver’s license, passport, military I.D., etc.)

Your new Social Security card will be mailed to you within the next 14 business days. Your Social Security number will be the same, but the name will be changed.

How to Change Your Name in the MVD’s Vehicle Records

After you change your name, you have a 10 day period to inform the MVD of your name change. You should wait two days after submitting your paperwork to the SSA before you visit your local MVD. You must go to the MVD office in person, as name changes cannot be submitted online or through the mail.

You should bring one of the following documents as proof of your name change:

  • Your marriage license or marriage certificate
  • A divorce decree
  • A court order
  • Your naturalization or citizenship certificate

You need to perform original copies. If you don’t have the original, the copy you provide has to be certified by its issuing agency. After you’ve submitted this documentation, you can request a new vehicle registration.

How to Change Your Vehicle Registration Following a Name Change

You have to change your name with the SSA and the MVD before you can receive your updated vehicle title and registration. It’s easy to update both the title and registration simultaneously by completing a title transfer. The following documentation must be submitted to meet your vehicle registration requirements:

  • Your complete Title and Registration Application
  • If the vehicle has a lien, written and signed permission of the lien holder
  • If the vehicle does not have a lien, the current vehicle title
  • Proof of your name change
  • Payment for the associated fees

You can call any of the following numbers for more in-depth information about the ways to change your name on your vehicle’s title:


Phoenix MVD: 602-255-0072

Tucson MVD: 520-629-9808

All other Arizona locations: 800-251-5866


Fees for a Name Change in Arizona

You’ll need to pay the following fees for updated documentation:

  • A $12 fee for your updated driver’s license
  • A $4 fee for your updated title certificate
  • A $8 fee for your updated registration

Accepted payment methods vary depending on how you complete the transaction:

  • Filed online or over the phone: VISA, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express cards
  • Filed through the mail: A personal check made out to the Motor Vehicle Division
  • In person: Payment types vary by office, so you should contact your local office to inquire