Registering Vehicle From Out Of State

Moving from one state to another can be an exciting and stressful time. Not only should getting your vehicle registered and license plates be on your to-do list, you need to do it as soon as you get settled. For new residents to Arizona who need to register an out of state vehicle, this article details all the steps you are required to complete.


About Out-of-State Registration in AZ

To register a vehicle in AZ, you have to go to the local Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) in person with several documents. For newcomers to the state, state law demands that you register your out of state vehicle immediately after getting residency.


However, residency in Arizona goes beyond having an address. AZ law states that you are a resident if one of more the following circumstances apply to you:


  • You have an AZ driver’s license
  • Your children are enrolled in AZ school and not paying out-of-state tuition
  • You’re job is in AZ
  • You will remain in AZ for at least 7 months or longer
  • You have a business in AZ that garages and operates motor vehicles
  • You have a business in AZ that brings goods or transports people into the state
  • You’re registered as an AZ voter.


Registration Requirements

Prior to visiting your local MVD office, you need the following:


  • Proof of auto insurance that matches the minimum coverage amounts in Arizona:

◦ $15,000 coverage for individuals

◦ $30,000 for bodily injuries

◦ $10,000 for property damage

  • Emissions compliance document – AZ requires residents of Phoenix and Tucson to get a smog and emissions check.


If you satisfy these requirements, you can proceed onto the next section.


Registering at the MVD in Person

As mentioned above, you are required to visit your local AZDOT. Bring along the following documents to register out of state vehicle:


  • A complete Form 96-0236 (Title and Registration Application) – in order to make the overall process smoother, the state allows for simultaneous out of state tile transfer and registration.
  • Proof of completed smog and emissions inspection – only if you live in Phoenix or Tucson. Results are automatically transferred to the MVD.
  • Level 1 Inspection certificate – this is only required if your out-of-state vehicle doesn’t have a registration and/or title. This certificate verifies your VIN and is provided for free.
  • Out-of-State Title or up-to-date registration certificate.
  • Old license plates to swap
  • Proof of insurance – such as your AZ insurance card
  • Proof of identity – must have a photo, such as your passport, old driver’s license, etc. You can always check for acceptable identification on the MVD website.
  • Method of payment for any applicable fees (see below).


Registration duration is 1, 3, or 5 years. For short term residency, you can purchase a 3-day permit or 90-day registration.


Applicable Fees

When you register an out of state vehicle in Arizona, you can expect the following fees:


  • Registration: $8.00
  • Title: $4.00
  • Air Quality Research: $1.50
  • 3 Day Permit: $1 (if applicable)
  • 90-Day Registration: $15.00 (if applicable)


Another fee to anticipate is the vehicle license tax (VLT) with every registration and renewal. Tax is based off every $100 of the vehicle’s worth.


The process to register a out of state vehicle in AZ might seem a bit complicated, but if you follow the above guidelines, the process should be smooth. If you have any questions, you can always contact the MVD at 602-255-0072 for help.