Replace Car Registration

To replace a lost or stolen vehicle registration in Arizona, you’ll need to go through the Arizona Motor Vehicle Division as soon as possible. It is illegal to drive without your registration papers in your vehicle. If you’re pulled over without valid registration papers, you may be faced with penalties and fines. You might face the same fines for an illegible or damaged registration, so you should replace damaged registrations as soon as possible as well.


How to Obtain a Vehicle Registration Replacement if You Lost Your Vehicle Registration

You have the ability to replace your registration certificate either online or in person at your local MVD office. You can also request duplicate license plate tabs should they be missing or damaged.

To apply for your duplicate registration in person, you’ll need to provide the following documentation to your local MVD office:

  • Your personal identification such as a driver’s license, passport, or military identification card
  • The vehicle identification number of your vehicle
  • Your license plate number
  • Payment for the $5 registration replacement fee


To apply for the duplicate registration online, you’ll visit the Arizona MVD website and access the online services section. You’ll be asked for the following information:

  • Your vehicle’s license plate number
  • The VIN number of the vehicle
  • Your driver’s license number
  • A credit or debit card to cover the $5 replacement fee


After completing the online transaction, you’ll need to print the registration receipt. Your replacement tabs and new registration card will arrive in the mail. Make sure the MVD office has the correct mailing address on file.


Replacing Arizona License Plates

If your license plate has been damaged or destroyed, you can replace it in person or through the mail. You cannot replace a license plate online. If your license plate has been lost or stolen, you’ll need to report that to the MVD. Most of the time, lost license plates are due to faulty screws. But if you believe they may have been stolen, you should file a police report.

To request a replacement license plate or plates through the mail, you’ll need to place the following documentation in a secure envelope:

  • Your license plate number
  • Your name and address
  • The VIN, make, model, and year of the vehicle
  • The reason for the replacement
  • A money order or check for the cost of postage plus the replacement fee


The replacement plate should arrive in the mail.

To request a replacement in person, you’ll need to bring all of the above documentation to your local MVD office. You will also need your personal identification such as a driver’s license, military identification card, or passport.